Posted by Brandon Rifkin on December 14, 2011 Jump To Comments
He’s back! Yes!
- Kyle Orton will start on Sunday. Not gonna lie, was really looking forward to seeing what Woodson, Tramon and the rest of the ballhawks in the back could do with some Palko action. Oh well.
- For a team that doesn’t run the ball that much, the Packers are getting awfully thin at running back. Starks is still battling an ankle, and recently plugged-in Brandon Saine suffered a concussion. That really just leaves Grant and Kuhn as the lone options for Mike McCarthy when he wants to give Rodgers a breather. However, via the Journal-Sentinel, we learn that the Packers worked out 4 running backs this week, including former preaseason stud and Northwestern grad Tyrell Sutton. He’d be my choice to get picked up if the Pack decide they want some more depth there. The three other backs were Graig Cooper (who obviously has been spelling his name wrong his entire life), Jalen Parmele, and Walter ‘Not Payton, Definitely Not Barry’ Sanders. I thoroughly coming up with those nicknames sometimes.
- QUICK. Name all 19 players that have scored a touchdown for the Packers this year.* I tried and came up with 17/19. A little ashamed to admit that I forgot about Flynn’s rushing touchdown and Walden’s TD, especially since both were pretty recent. But isn’t that ridiculous? 19 different players have scored. I bet there are some offenses that don’t have 19 total touchdowns. More importantly, who can still score to help the Packers break the all-time record of 21?
- Brandon Saine. If he can return from his concussion, I’d label him a very likely candidate to find paydirt. Probably on a screen of some kind. Kid’s a great receiver out of the backfield.
- D.J. Williams. Because being a tight end in Green Bay entitles you to catching a TD pass from Rodgers.
- Sam Shields. The kid can fly, and he’s shown a willingness to try and take anything back that he gets his hands on. Unfortunately, the last time he did that he got popped in the face.
- Morgan Burnett. Inverse relationship between the size of his club (giggity) and his chances of scoring a touchdown. And that club is shrinking by the week.
- The Chiefs fired Todd Haley after their last game, leaving Romeo Crennel in charge. His first assignment? The defending champion and undefeated Green Bay Mothertruckin’ Packers. Good luck with that.
- Is it ironic that the Chiefs let Haley go after Jamaal Charles got hurt? I’m talking purely from a fantasy perspective. The guy held Charles back so damn much, throwing Thomas Jones out there to fight for 3 yards up the gut instead. So frustrating, so stupid. Also, definitely should blame the coach for having a shitty team when half of them are hurt. I’ve said it before, I really like some of the pieces on this Chiefs defense: Hali is a stud, Derrick Johnson is a monster, and Brandon Flowers keeps getting better. But with Cassell and Charles hurt, there was simply no way this team could score enough to win consistently. I guess in the NFL, though, results matter. And the fuck if I feel bad about a millionaire getting fired. He’ll find another job somewhere very soon.
PS – Is this really the best way to handle the coaching vacancy on the official NFL website?
*Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Ryan Grant, James Starks, B.J. Raji, Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Ryan Taylor, Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson, Erik Walden, Tramon Williams, Charlie Peprah, John Kuhn, Matt Flynn. Boom.